Now many are organizing. I guess November 4th provided them with a wake up call. I love the energy! Yet, I am concerned that all this energy is devoted toward the wrong goal.
We live in America TOO! We deserve legal protections from our government and marriage provides 10,000+ legal protections that are not awarded to our families!
Full equality for ALL. [...] At JoinTheImpact, we are all inclusive.
I guess, they don’t realize that they are leaving out families with their narrow focus on marriage. Families like:
- Single parent households
- Senior citizens living together and serving as each other’s caregivers (think Golden Girls)
- Blended and extended families
- Children being raised in multiple households or by unmarried parents
- Adult children living with and caring for their parents
- Senior citizens who are the primary caregivers to their grandchildren or other relatives
- Close friends or siblings living in non-conjugal relationships and serving as each other’s primary support and caregivers
- Households in which there is more than one conjugal partner
- Care-giving relationships that provide support to those living with extended illness such as HIV/AIDS.
That’s a lot of people to leave out from a movement that purports to be all inclusive.
Don’t get me wrong. I think that the passage of Prop 8 is despicable. So are the various flavors of Defense of Marriage Acts. All they are defending is discrimination. But that discrimination goes beyond the LGBT community. They discriminate against any other form of family other than the wife-husband-children family of yesteryear.
It is time to abolish those 10,000+ rights automatically bestowed upon marriage instead of expanding the pool of people those rights are conferred upon. We need to look at the needs and find ways of meeting those needs that value all families, no matter what shape or form they take or how many people are in the family. Only a movement that looks at all options, that moves beyond marriage and fights for alternatives, can claim to be truly inclusive.